Thursday, April 1, 2010

#6. Book Signing

Yesterday, while we were sitting around watching TV, my friend Jon interrupted.

"Hey, Robert J. Sawyer is coming to our school tomorrow!"

Robert J. Sawyer is one of the most prolific Canadian Sci-Fi authors of our generation. He's also one of my favourite writers. I was a little excited, which is probably why I nearly spilled an entire can of pop on the floor (that word was very nearly 'poop').

Anyways, we went to see him today. He gave a really interesting lecture about the nature of technology and his vision of the future, and then read an excerpt from his latest book. The best part came at the end, where I purchased and got him to sign three books.

"Howdy, who do I make these out to?" he said with a big smile.

"Justin," I replied. Jon and I asked him a couple of questions and made a few fanboy comments, "I love your work" and so on. Then he looked up with a frown on his face.

"Oh darn. I made this one out to Jon." He lifted the book so I could see Jon's name where mine should have been.

"Wait -" he exclaimed. He scribbled something, and then lifted the book again. It read, "For Jonathan's good friend, Justin."



"Nice save," I commented, laughing, "But in ten years, I'll be like, 'who the hell is this Jon guy?'"

Anyways, he was a really awesome guy, and I'm a huge fan, so it was an entirely enjoyable and interesting experience. Plus, I've never had a book signed by the author before, so that's my new thing for the day. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment