Sunday, April 18, 2010

#23. Manglish

Here is some personal information about me: I have a Malaysian background (go find it on a map). I'm planning to go on vacation there this summer, so I decided to learn a bit more about Malaysian culture - I could've just asked my family members but I don't trust them considering the way I turned out.

One of the most unique things about Malaysia is Manglish. It means Malaysian English, but also, mangled English, because people tend to speak in a way that mean exactly the opposite of how it sounds (sort of like a politician). Some excerpts:

"Why are you so boring?" means "Why are you so bored?"
"I am interesting." means "I am interested."
"Why you so like that?" means "Why do you behave so unpredictably?"

I've been to Malaysia before and I can vouch for the fact that the people do indeed sound exactly like this. Ironically, one of the funnier phrases isn't a contradiction at all:

"My house has many lizards." actually means "My house has many lizards."

[It's like watching Dawson's Creek. With heartless reptiles. Wait, that's not much different.]

That's right. I'll be spending my summer 'vacation' in humid weather over 40 deg C, living in a house infested by ceiling geckos that will poop on my head, and eating food made of lard and skin. And I will enjoy it 100%

No comments:

Post a Comment