Thursday, April 22, 2010

#27. Sushi Blackout

This post should've been on Wednesday. My exam is tomorrow, but instead of studying I'm blogging. I don't know why. Maybe I've just given up on studying. Or maybe I'm possessed by the procrastination devil:

[Sloth is the devil. Or maybe the guy behind him.]

On Wednesday, I went out to a sushi place downtown, which is great because even though I was sick, there's no cure like pounds of raw fish-flesh and salty rice. Actually, that sounds a lot more unappetizing in text than I meant it to be.

And while we were eating, the power went out. All down the street. The world stopped. Cars crashed. Planes fell out of the sky. The righteous were taken up to heaven while sinners remained on earth, reeling in the wake of disaster. My sushi order didn't come.

In reality, all that really happened is the restaurant staff started talking excitedly, like it was some sort of planned surprise for a birthday or something, while the customers looked around in mild confusion, no doubt wondering whether their orders would be delayed. At our table, everyone simultaneously pulled out their cellphones and lit the screens, some even lighting the flash on the tiny camera to create as much ambient light as possible. We strategically placed them on the table under napkins to create mood lighting.

A couple of the waiters came over and spoke Chinese to me. I listened politely and nodded a lot. I didn't know what they were saying. They looked happy though, probably because I didn't pull a knife and demand to know where my meal was at.

Soon, the lights popped back on, and everybody clapped like it was some great magic trick. Then we went back to eating. It was like the staff was trying to make up for the disturbance because the quality of food and service improved drastically afterward. It goes to show that if you want to have an outstanding dinner, cut the power to the restaurant with a pair of insulated pliers.

I thought about doing a proper 'new thing' but the blackout was random and sudden enough that I think it counts for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment