Sunday, May 23, 2010

#58. Carmen!

Backdated Sunday, May 23th.

I have to make an apology here for delaying so long in my posting. My laptop was in repairs for an extended period, and unfortunately, the temporary one I was using didn't have the required plug-ins needed to use Blogger. However, I'm back from my trip now, so expect many updates.

Today, I went to see Carmen at the O2. The O2 is an enormous stadium located in London's East End, where they hold concerts and performances. I went with my aunt and uncle, as well as the wonderful girlfriend, to attend a viewing of Carmen, which is an opera.

I had never been to an opera before, so it was a new experience. Unfortunately, it wasn't one I really enjoyed. The singers were amazing, but were so 'operatic' that I couldn't understand a word they were saying, so the story was completely lost on me. By operatic, I mean that they were telling a story through very high-pitched, glass-shattering sopranos, and at other times, low and rumbling basses.

[Risque, too]

However, the props and stage were very cool. The opera was performed on a round center stage with the audience at an entire 360 viewing angle. There was a scene where the citizens celebrate a carnival, which included unicyclists and firebreathers.

Overall, it's not an experience I would pay for again, but at least I can now pretend I have some semblance of culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment