Saturday, May 8, 2010

#43. Metalworking

In keeping with the past few days of warfare and making-things, I spent today making a large knife out of galvanised steel. It seems unlikely I’ll ever find a use for this knife, as I don’t plan to go to war, and I’m not nearly badass enough to stab somebody. Chances are, it will sit in my room as another odd decoration, or I may use it to spread butter on toast.

Just a quick explanation of the process: I purchased a large, 4 foot plate of steel from a hardware store, and then left it in my yard for a few months while I spent time forgetting about it. I eventually hacked off a foot-long piece from it, then cut that in half as I realized 12 inches is a bit ridiculous for a pocketknife. Using a rotary saw, I cut the blade slope out of the steel, and then used a grinder to shape the edge. Finally, I cut a few notches to make a handle, which I plan to wrap in something suitable, like cloth, tape, or liquorice.

No comments:

Post a Comment