Sunday, January 15, 2012

Deer Run

I've moved into a nice little area in the heart of Rochester Hills. I'm surrounded by a thick forest, encircled by a sizable creek. There, now the stalkers out there should have no trouble finding me.

I took a walk by the creek today. I hadn't had a chance to do so until now, due to work and other commitments, and the short periods of daylight. I wouldn't want to trip and fall fifty feet into a freezing river, despite how hilarious my eulogy would be.

It's a beautiful place, but as I was making my way back, I literally stumbled into a small herd of deer. Like, four or five of them, just five metres from me. One of them made a sound, which caught my attention, and they looked up as I stopped. For like, five minutes, we just stared without moving. I waved, and they didn't react. Jerks.

It was getting slightly troubling. Did deers ever attack people? I checked for antlers but found none. Did that mean they were all female? Or were antlers not 'in' this season? Their big black eyes stared deep into my soul - scrutinizing, judging.

I turned my back and walked away, checking every five seconds, wary of a hoof in my back.

Thank God I made it out alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment